Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Holiday

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Channakuh, and the like.

Overall, we had a great day, Solstice though in a lot of pain, worked hard to have fun, laugh, and be in the spirit.  There were quite a few moments however when she was just laying down in pain, and it hurts me horribly, even more so on a holiday. Leaving her tonight was the worst, but since I have a serious cold on top of a sinus infection, I had to spend the entire day not touching her, breathing deeply into my mask, attempting to convince myself that I could breathe my own hot air and be okay.

I eventually got used to it, and didn't  notice it as much any more, such is life.  It's interesting what you can get used to.

Life changes when you're child is sick.  Seeing young families walking down the street makes you feel as though you are on the outside looking in.  It separates you from your family, your friends, and makes you realize what is really important.

Solstice didn't recieve many gifts.  Since she is feeling better, we've been giving her a lot of books and activities the weeks prior to Christmas.  Luckily, she understands that, understands what financial stress we are under, and is thankful for the time with her family.  This is what I pulled off her facebook page: My family is giving up their home Christmas to spend it in a hospital with me. ♡ the holidays are not about where you are at or what you receive, its about the people you choose to spend it with. And I have some pretty great people. — with Olivia Norton and 2 others.

Today I am thankful that we have such an amazing Doctor, one who is willing to spend time, thought and energy on my little girl.  We've never had such a thing, and I am absolutely in love with Denver Health and the treatment in the ICU wing.

We don't expect Solstice to be released anytime soon, however she is now eating chicken, rice, carrots, grapes, apples, cantaloupe, coconut, and drinking rice milk.  With only two days until her 15th birthday we are trying to figure out a way to put all of these things together, maybe even whip up some vanilla pediasure in some sort of birthday like mound.

She is having a party in "the zone", an area donated by Garth Brooks on Friday.  Though she cannot have many guests, she invited the children from ICU, and although she cannot eat it, she asked us to supply a cake for the children who could.  "Bring Chocolate, I don't like chocolate cake, It won't hurt as much."

Acceptance is half the battle, fighting hard is the other part.  Luckily this little girl has it all.

I hope this day finds you and your family well, and thank you to everyone who has donated and helped us on this seemingly never-ending journey.  Without you, Mama would be in the sanitarium, of this I am certain.

Love and well wishes to you all,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment